Maison Dieu, Dover
The Maison Dieu at Dover is an important complex in the centre of the town. Founded in the early thirteenth century to provide hospitality for travellers, the complex still includes a large and handsome hall of the late thirteenth or early fourteenth century and a fourteenth century tower. After the Reformation the old buildings were adapted to serve as a victualling store for the Royal Navy, but in 1834 they were sold to Dover Town Council and converted to a town hall, courtroom and gaol. In 1859-61 the medieval hall was restored and in 1881 the complex was enlarged by the addition of a grand assembly hall and rooms for town council and court business. The new building was designed in neo-medieval style by William Burges, ,with elaborate interior decoration recalling his work at Cardiff Castle. In 2019 AHP was commissioned by Dover District Council and Haverstock Architects to prepare a Conservation Management Plan and Gazetteer as part of a submission for funding from the National Lottery Heritage Fund. In October 2020 the NLHF awarded a grant of £4.27m towards the £8m project.