Brodsworth Hall, South Yorkshire
In 2014, AHP was commissioned by English Heritage to prepare a conservation management plan (CMP) for Brodsworth Hall in South Yorkshire, to inform its future management, presentation and refurbishment. Designed by the London architect Philip Wilkinson, the Hall was built in 1861-63 for Charles Sabine Augustus Thellusson who had inherited the estate from his grandfather Peter Thellusson, a rich merchant banker. Today, the Hall is renowned as an important example of an Italianate country house with largely intact interiors and collections, presented more or less as they were when the house was acquired for rescue by English Heritage in 1990. The gardens, house and collections illustrate the lives of the former inhabitants (upstairs and downstairs), as well as the rise and fall of the country house. The hall’s setting includes a medieval church, kitchen gardens, model farm and stables, but only the last of these is part of the English Heritage site and covered in detail by the CMP. AHP worked on this project with collections expert Alison Mitchelson who assessed and advised on the collection.